Photos taken 17 February 2007. Click each photo to enlarge, or click here for the whole gallery.

Photos taken 19 February 2007 at China Camp State Park in San Rafael, California.

A Planetary Parallax View

Where People Have
A Parallax View

Click here to add yourself to the Parallaxis map!

-->

California Street, San Francisco

Flowers

Far from Yare, Pt. Reyes, CA

That bridge again.

I take pictures every day with my Canon Powershot G6.

Performancing

Wednesday, May 05, 2010

Why do so many people hate the word ‘moist’?

You’ve probably met them – you might even be one of them: People who hate the word ‘moist’.

If my own personal, unscientific tabulations over the years are any indication, ‘moist’ is among the most-hated words in the English language. In fact, I just Googled the term and two of the top four results were about hating the word. So there, I am right.

But why? I don’t get it. Of the words that mean ‘kind of wet-ish’, ‘moist’ is really about the most positive description there is. By comparison, the ickier versions of ‘kind of wet-ish’ include ‘damp’ and ‘swampy’.

Think about it. I endeavor to achieve brownies and cupcakes that are moist. But I would shy away from any baked goods that were damp. When I put my hands down someone’s pants, I am generally pleased to discover the underwear is moist. Damp underwear, on the other hand, I am not as OK with. Moist panties, good. Swampy panties, bad.

So moist is a good thing! Let’s overcome our distaste for moist. In fact, let’s declare May ‘Moist Appreciation Month’. I challenge you to find ways to love and embrace moist in your life.

Do you hate the word moist? Can you get over it – at least for the month of May? What other words to you hate?

Comments on "Why do so many people hate the word ‘moist’?"

 

Blogger lgg said ... (May 05, 2010 8:55 PM) : 

I love fun reading. Thanks!

 

Blogger Krëg said ... (May 06, 2010 7:16 AM) : 

dynamic
paradigm
proactive

...basically any corporate bullsh!t word clueless people use to feign some shred of intelligence.

I'm cool with 'moist' though. I've got moist's back in a word fight.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (April 04, 2013 9:45 AM) : 

i think that the sound of 'oist' is just unpleasant to the ear. maybe i'm weird, but i don't like the sound of the word 'escape'. the 'scape' makes me cringe a little o.O

 

post a comment

  • I'm Matty G
  • I grew up in Grand Island, Nebraska. Now I live smack in the middle of San Francisco.

    Parallaxis is the view from here (& there).

    About Parallaxis