Photos taken 17 February 2007. Click each photo to enlarge, or click here for the whole gallery.

Photos taken 19 February 2007 at China Camp State Park in San Rafael, California.

A Planetary Parallax View

Where People Have
A Parallax View

Click here to add yourself to the Parallaxis map!

-->

California Street, San Francisco

Flowers

Far from Yare, Pt. Reyes, CA

That bridge again.

I take pictures every day with my Canon Powershot G6.

Performancing

Thursday, July 19, 2007

OK! OK! I'll Talk!

So I found out yesterday that I am not cut out to be a spy, work in the intelligence community, or generally be trusted with any information that could be considered "top secret," "valuable," or even "juicy." You might want to keep that in mind the next time you're considering divulging anything to me that you want me to guard with my life.

You see, yesterday I went to a podiatrist for the first time because - well, because I could not put it off any longer. For the past six months, or maybe a year, I have been dealing with four ingrown toenails - both of my big toes and both of my 2nd toes. The 2nd toe on my right foot was actually growing like a straw - the kind you drink out of - forming an almost-complete circle so the left and right edges of the toenail were all but touching. And yes, there was a ball of skin being pinched inside this ring. Last week it was finally too much to bear, so I trimmed it, knowing this brief remedy would actually make things much worse - and soon.

So I sucked it up and went to the doctor yesterday to have my toes repaired. The podiatrist, who I will call Dr. Payne, winced when she saw the straw growing out of my toe. "That's what we call a pincher!" she declared. "Don't worry, we'll take care of ya. I'll go get loaded up."

I pondered what that meant while she was gone. She returned with acid, a syringe, a long, sharp skewer, something that looked to me like a lopper, and I don't know what else because she was trying to conceal everything from me.

I'm pretty sure that over the course of the next hour, the Geneva Conventions were violated more than a couple times. She began plunging sharp skewers deep beneath my toenails, laterally splitting the full length of my toenails along the edges, gripping the split pieces and yanking them out (with all her might) at the root, and then dripping acid onto the exposed nail bed - all while cheerfully and casually asking me questions. It was as though Alice had quit her job as the Brady's housekeeper and become an interrogator for al Qaeda.

I asked her, "Are you a sadist who just loves working on toes?" She laughed and shook her head, which I took as a yes.

I said, "This would make a great scene in a horror movie."

"Or a YouTube video!" she added.

When she was done, I looked down at her handiwork: four toes wrapped snugly in blood-red bandages. "Am I bleeding that much?" I asked.

"No no! I used red bandages!" she said. "I'm sorry, I scared you!"

"No," I said. "I'm not squeamish about blood. Just about people touching my toes."

And it's true, I thought later that evening as I lay on my back trying not to think about the pulsating pain coming from the opposite end of my body. Had she been trying to get information out of me, she would not have gotten to rip out four of my toenails. I would have been singing like a bird before she ever touched the first one.

P.S. All joking aside, I want to give my highest recommendation to The Financial District Foot And Ankle Center and the very qualified podiatrist who has saved my toes (whose real name is Dr. Park and who is young, quite lovely, and bears absolutely no resemblance to Ann B. Davis nor a housekeeper circa 1972). I felt nothing but confidence that I was in the most capable hands to be found in the City. And you know what? Jeremy, the office administrator, is pretty awesome too.

If my above story has left you less than convinced, check out their reviews on Yelp - nothing but 5 stars and glowing accolades. That's how I found these great people.

Now, on to the gore:


My bandaged toes... (click image to enlarge)


TMI Alert!!!!


Dr. Payne's handiwork... the "pincher" is the 2nd toe on the right foot. (click image to enlarge)

Comments on "OK! OK! I'll Talk!"

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (June 21, 2008 7:03 PM) : 

Matty - this procedure that was done in your doctors office was that to remove the toenail permantly or just fixed the pincher nail? I ask because my doctor just told me a have a pincher nail but it isnt a complete circle yet... He told it wil have eventually to both my big toes and i'll need to remove them forever which I dont want. Any insite would be great. Thanks nelle

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (July 30, 2008 10:51 PM) : 

hi, i have pincher nails too on both my big toes, i'm quite near to fainting seeing what was done in yours. to think, it's your second toenail not the big one. Waaaah!

your doctor used local anaesthesia right? please say YES haha!

 

Blogger Matty G said ... (July 30, 2008 11:21 PM) : 

I really think I had a good doctor for this. She didn't remove any of my toenails entirely - but removed the side edges (like a long thin strip 1 or 2 mm wide) of both sides of all 4 toes. I honestly didn't think it would be enough to give me relief, but she said it would. And she was right.

I still have toenails on all 4 toes, and she didn't remove nearly as much nail on any of them as I thought she would.

Yes, she did use local anesthetic. But the pain for a few days after was pretty bad. And I didn't really benefit from total relief for a few additional months, There is a lot of care involved after the procedure, too. You have to be diligent and follow the doctor's directions. It's a bit of work. Soaking and rebandaging twice a day.

But it was worth it. I was suffering for at least a year. And finally, my toenails don't hurt! I go back now regularly, for general care of my feet. Once every couple of months.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (July 30, 2008 11:37 PM) : 

how many days/week before it was totally cured?

maybe what your doctor did is ungectomy, mine, im afraid is more than that, my doctor, Dra. Sylvia Jacinto, told me it has to be nail surgery and she will refer to me to another doctor who's more qualified to do the operation.

 

Blogger Matty G said ... (July 30, 2008 11:41 PM) : 

I'm not sure what my procedure was called. But it never hurts to get a second opinion. I was walking funny for a couple weeks (toes in bandages, in socks, in sandals) and I think it was at least 3 months before I felt like I was healed... but maybe it just felt that long. I can tell you from my own experience that it was well worth it... it wasn't fun, but it is better than suffering with no chance of getting better. I hope you get some relief and your toes get better too. :)

 

post a comment

  • I'm Matty G
  • I grew up in Grand Island, Nebraska. Now I live smack in the middle of San Francisco.

    Parallaxis is the view from here (& there).

    About Parallaxis